If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Friday, December 23, 2011

.









Blanca-Santos--Orlando







12/10/11--Blanca Santos on her 62nd birthday. To prove it, she even showed me an ID. When she said her name, I blurted," White!" and she did flinch. Blanca made a grave tactical mistake by leaving Puerto Rico in 2008, just as the economy was imploding. Arriving in Orlando, she had work training hotel maids, but her hours would be cut back until she became homeless even before she was laid off completely. Her 30-year-old son, Jesus, now works odd jobs. He was rather sullen, but I would be too if I were living under a bridge with my mom.

Since this is Orlando, where distances are vast, the soup kitchen is 2 miles away. The shelters are filthy, unsafe, charge you $9 a night, and kick you out early in the morning, so most homeless live outside. It is warm enough here.

Considering the grim circumstances, Blanca was remarkably cheerful. When I showed her this image, she said, "I've always had a beautiful smile!" All she wants is to get back to Puerto Rico, hopefully by February. If you want to help her, send anything to this address:


Blanca Santos
515 W. Central Blvd
Orlando, FL 32801





.

3 comments:

Ksou said...

Whats the point of having a shelter that cost money ?

Linh Dinh said...

Hi Ksou,

First three nights at the Salvation Army Shelter are free. After that, it's $9 a night. At another Orlando shelter for men, the first week is free, then $6 a night.

In New Orleans, a homeless man told me the shelter he went to cost $5 a night.

Ksou said...

Hi Linh

I'm guessing that free long term housing is reserved for women with children . Since you have to be a pretty hardcore republican to argue that a homeless child is homeless due to his own laziness