If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For my articles, please go to SubStack.

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

From 0:19 to 2:55 is a profile of a Nigerian sentenced to life for dealing drugs in Vietnam, now reduced to 30 years for good behavior:






 



Even his original sentence was somewhat lenient, for others were often executed. Before getting in trouble, Chimechidike Ben taught English and married a Vietnamese woman. He made nearly $3,400 a month as a teacher, a fortune here. His wife worked for an insurance company. He says he just wanted to hang himself upon learning of his sentence, but is now resigned to prison life. He speaks Vietnamese well.

"I miss my native land very much, miss many things, miss them very much, but I don't have a choice [...] Sometimes I see my homeland on television, I'm very sad, I want to cry. I miss my home. I want to go home to see my mother. My father is dead. I want to go home to see my mother and my family, to apologize to them."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do they always give foreigners lenient sentences, while they would kill their own people? They even gave white pedophiles slaps on the wrists. Why is this unequal treatment? What are they afraid of?

Linh Dinh said...

You're right. Gary Glitter comes to mind.

Martin said...

I can easily imagine what the Vietnamese parents thought when their naive daughter brought home this Nigerian to meet the family. Their son-in-law's later life sentence for dealing drugs more than likely confirmed what they had thought about him from the get-go.