If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, April 9, 2023









120000 kip pizza at Reggae Bar on 4-8-23--Don Det copy




At $7.06, an expensive meal for Laos, but this pizza at Reggae Bar was real, and I was overdue for one. Before this, I endured a "pizza" in Siem Reap that had no tomato or cheese. When I pointed this out, some savage came on to curse me out, in a comment I had to delete. What a world we live in.

Having spent two years in Italy and 16 more in Philadelphia's Italian Market, I should know what's a real pizza or fake cheese, but hey, deeply unhappy and impotent people are constantly triggered.

Since I left the US nearly five years ago, I have stayed in nearly 20 countries. Only South Africa was arguably as barbaric, and I measure this by how strangers treat each other.

A headline from 4/7/23, "13 people shot in last 48 hours in Philadelphia," but the situation there has actually improved! If only momentarily. "Despite the number of shootings, the Action News data journalism team found shootings in the city are down 16% compared to this time last year."


2 comments:

Troy Skaggs said...

"Only South Africa was arguably as barbaric, and I measure this by how strangers treat each other."
Thank you Linh. It's shameful how separated Americans are from each other, thus the sense of deep sadness and impotence. Friendly eye contact while out and about can be hard to attain. Suspicion and worry have many of us wound pretty tight. It's palpable.
Ahh well,That looks like an honest pizza!

mistah charley, sb, ma, phd, jsps said...

i've been warned by my physician to stay away from salt, so it may be quite a while until i have another slice of pepperoni pizza - but memory provides me with the ghost of the experience

the costco i go to dropped the "supreme" option during the pandemic - with green peppers, onions, mushrooms and sausage in addition to pepperoni - now you have your choice of cheese or pepperoni only