If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For my articles, please go to SubStack.

Monday, July 15, 2019

.









Girl in charity organization, visiting Phuoc Tinh Temple--Ea Kly









Yesterday at Phước Tịnh Temple. This girl belonged to the visiting charity organization. I could tell because they all wore a shirt. All of the donors were lighter skinned Vietnamese. Most of the charity recipients were darker Rade.



.

3 comments:

swindled said...

I generally think of bana as a Filipino word, meaning husband, but I guess it's originally from the Swahili, bwana for Sir. As for the Rade their practice of matrilineal descent fascinates and if they knew of it could possibly one day become popular with Progressive women I listen to on Sirius these days, one of whom recently interviewed E. Jean Carroll who seems to support male genocide (p.s. I tried to find the antonym for uxoricide but like a true Phillie struck out).

Linh Dinh said...

Hi swindled,

I didn't know what Bà Nà was, but an internet check revealed that it's merely an amusement park!

English is creeping into Vietnamese speech, so you have people blurting "Oh my God!" "Let's go" or "Oh wow!" etc. Here you have an "I."


Linh

swindled one said...

The Filipinas I know say Oh my gee! They also say Susmaryosep for Jesus Mary and Joseph. Air con for air conditioning. Et cetera. Sometimes I think there is nothing they won't abbreviate or simply make up, especially where nicknames are concerned, Bam bam, Rap rap, Toto, Bong Bong. It's all very playful. The language itself it an amalgam of different Filipino dialects, Spanish, and lots of English. And of course in the south they speak Arabic. Not far from where my wife is from.