If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For my articles, please go to SubStack.

Tuesday, May 16, 2023









Room at Lankham Hotel for 160,000 kips a night on 5-16-23--Pakse copy




My 160,000 kip [$9.11] a night room at Lankham Hotel. This is the best room I've had since Siem Reap, three months ago, but that was more expensive. This is also better than the rooms I had in Bangkok and Chennai.

The air conditionting is good. The bathroom is clean. The water pressure for the shower is weak. The TV, I never watch. In the fridge, I keep bottled water, since tap water in Laos is not potable. Though I can request a cleaning each day, I only do it every fourth day or so. I used to be a house and office cleaner. There's no need to subject the cleaning ladies here to extra work.


1 comment:

Tom Herzog said...

I am following in your footsteps, Mr. Dihn. $300 dollars a month is far better than the $500 I'm paying now to rent a room in a vermin infested house, with surly house mates, in the town I was born in 66 years ago, Bridgeport Connecticut after retiring from my job in California and returning home. As Tom Wolfe said: "You can't go home again." Maybe I will find a home in South East Asia? Maybe not.

But I am sure of one thing. I will meet real human beings.(Youtube can't be wrong, can it?) And I haven't seen real human beings in "my" town since I've returned. Capitalist bosses have stiffed their workers for decades now on one end; and on the other end greedy slumlords take everything the workers are allowed to earn.

The end result are people who are angry and not educated enough to know who to blame; so instead of focusing their ire on their capitalist masters they vent it on each other. Which is just what their masters want: Divide and Conquer.

The working class NEVER mattered in America. FDR's New Deal was a temporary aberration. No one understands this. The middle class is not coming back to America. But everyone thinks, "If I just hit that lucky Lotto; if I just get that raise, I'll be on easy street...

Not gunna' happen folks. America is past its expiration date. The longer you stay here, the closer you get to joining the "blue tarp people" living under the highway overpass.

I don't know about you but I've had enough. Basta!