If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

.









Sergeant-J-Rambo--Collingswood








Continuing my little investigation of South Jersey, I was boozing at Tom Fischer's Tavern in Westmont. Somebody played Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant," which confused the bartender, "What the hell is this?" I told her that Arlo is Woody's son, but she had never heard of Woody Guthrie, so I tried, "Do you listen to Bob Dylan?" She said no. I talked to the man who played Arlo, however, then I punched in Coltrane, Monk, Django Rienhardt and Benny Goodman. This selection was much appreciated by the bar, and as I was standing at the juke box, some guy even gave me $2 to choose music for him.

Anyway, after I staggered away from Fischer's Tavern, I ended up at Collingswood's train station, but the ticket machine wouldn't take my debit card, and I had no cash left, so I sat on a bench to figure out what to do. Sergeant Rambo saw me take photos and came over, so I promptly snapped him. I then showed him the image in my viewfinder, "Hey, you look pretty good!" He grinned ever so slightly, "I've always been photogenic." I told Rambo I couldn't use the ticket machine, but he had no suggestion, so I said, "OK, I will walk to Camden and get on the train there, but if anything happens to me tonight, that's on you!"


.

No comments: