If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Kensington’s Best Bartender

As published at Dissident Voice, 11/24/13:





I’ve worked at R, One and a Half and now, here,
Bentley’s Place. The other bars are closed.
There are no customers left. They’ve all been killed.
Just this week, a guy was hacked with a machete
Across the street. Two weeks ago, two guys were shot.

It’s the drugs, you know. They do it right in here,
In the bathroom. I’ve caught a few. The men’s room
Has no lock, but the ladies’ room does. Some girl
Would go and stay in there like, you know, forever,
So I’d knock. She’d scream, “I’m doing a number two!”
Bullshit you are, so I’d pry open that door with a knife
I keep behind the bar. Sometimes they’d get so scared,
They’d drop that needle right in the toilet! Blood
Would be seeping from their arm, and they’d be pissed
Because they didn’t get their high. Whatever.
A guy would come in, order a beer, then nod off,
And I’d have to kick him out, too. He’d say,
“I didn’t get enough sleep last night.” Bullshit!

If you show me an attitude, you’re outta here, but
I don’t have to like you to serve you. I can’t stand
Lesbians, for example, but I still serve them.
I saw these two lesbians on TV kissing each other,
And they were, like, 89-years-old, and they were going
Muah, muah, muah! Yuck! Actually, I don’t care
If they were 20. It’d still be gross. If I want to fall in love
With a woman, I can just look at myself in the mirror.
Like my ma said, “There’s a lot of sausage out there,”
And she should know, she had 21 children.

I came here when I was only one-month-old, but
I’ve been back to Puerto Rico three times, when
I was eight, fourteen and twenty-one, when my son
Was only two-years-old. He’s thirty-four now,
And still living in Kensington. My daughter also.
I raised them right. They know right from wrong.

For fifteen years, though, I was an alcoholic.
I’d go through two fifths of Southern Comfort a day,
At least, plus other stuff. I’d do five drinks at a time,
All different kinds, rum, beer, wine, Southern Comfort,
Plus a cocktail. Whatever. Customers would buy me
Drinks up and down the bar. Once, though, I fell
Backward and was knocked out cold. An ambulance
Had to come, but at the hospital, I jumped right out
Of that ambulance, and somehow ended up back here.

Yeah, I know, it was only three blocks away, but still,
I was way gone, you know. The ambulance had to
Come pick me up again. It wasn’t my last time.
I’d go four days without eating anything but
A slice of bread, just to soak up that alcohol.
My hands would get all gnarly, like this, so
I couldn’t open my fingers, so I’d have to go
Into the hospital for the IV drips. Finally,
A doctor said, “If you keep going like this,
You’ll never see your grandchildren, so what
Do you want more, your grandkids or booze?”
That’s when I finally stopped, and I haven’t had
A single drop of alcohol in 15 years and a half.

They said I was a trip, but I was flying
Without any luggage, so I had to change.
Though I’m around alcohol all day, I don’t crave it.
This Christmas, I’m making two batches of coquito,
To make extra cash. It’s a Puerto Rican eggnog.
It only costs me 6 bucks a bottle, but I sell it for 18,
And I’ll probably sell 30 bottles, at least, this year.

I see new faces all the time, but sometimes, I’d jump
When a guy shows up. Hey, wasn’t he shot? Did he
Climb out of the grave just for happy hour?
Like they say, it’s hard to leave Kenzo. Even
When you’re dead, you still need to return.






.

3 comments:

Linh Dinh said...

Hi all,

Here are the two crimes mentioned in poem.

I had gone to North Philly to look for the Empty Pockets Bar and Grille, which I had photographed in 2009 without entering. On the way, I stopped into Bentley's Place, which yielded this poem, written later at home, and not that night since I was too trashed, but the next. I never found Empty Pockets, for it has apparently been closed.

As I was roaming around Tacony and Orthodox looking for it, I passed a middle-aged white guy who said, "How are you doing?"

"How are you?" I answered.

"You have a good night, and a good holiday!"

"Thank you!"

Usually in Philly, you don't get such niceness on the street, but it does happen. I then went into a black bar where I sat next to Herm, a man of about 62. We talked about the Sixers a bit, then veered into the Sonics, my favorite team from when I was 11 and living in Tacoma, Washington. We raved about the greatness of Lenny Wilkens as both coach and player. Before he left, Herm warned me about the knockout game. He believed this madness was a manifestation of the End Time, "because we've gone so far away from God!"

Leaving that bar, I ended up finally in The Point After Tavern on Frankford Avenue. There, I talked to a Dan who told me about working in 140 heat in a boiler room. Fifty-three years old, he's waiting to retire at 63 so he can collect his $1,500 a month in Social Security.

Unknown said...

Yo Linh,

A 1st round knock-out poem, I could hear needle drop in toilet-bowl, and in the end, a suspected dead-guy emerged from grave -- maybe chips remaining on Bentley's Place bar-top, peanut shells on floor, old man with a broom?

Also, even your comment is top-shelf Boilermaker-literature; one must be beaten, indulged, & much > 21 to drink; Herm's anticipating "end-times, Poet's "trashed," Empty Pockets closed, & City of Scranton awaits the photographer's 2nd coming.

Have a happy-Kenzo Giving-thanks!
Chuck Orloski
Taylor, PA

Linh Dinh said...

Yo Chuck,

I drank too many Buds that day and got rather angry and sullen at the end, so I've been trying to stay quiet and recollect myself. I'm not sure what happened exactly. As Dan related his work experience, he got impatient at me for not understanding immediately what he was saying, so there was anger in him, which annoyed me, because I had become a kind of collateral damage for his suppressed rage, but then I was very trashed by this point, so maybe my perception was warped. When people drink, things can get very volatile, obviously, and it’s only natural that Dan would get riled up when talking about having to routinely work in 140 degree heat day after day for decades on end. At 53, he remains single, and anticipates dying alone. He has taken out a $9,000 life insurance policy so his younger brother would have enough cash to tuck him into the ground. $9,000 is the exact cost of what it takes to properly bury a person, he informed me. “When I die, just flush me down the fuckin’ toilet,” I said to Dan.

At the bar, there was a segment on TV about the Kennedy assassination, so I asked Dan, "Who do you think did that?"

"The CIA, of course!"

"How come you and I know that, and so many other people besides, and there's nothing we can do about it? They kill whoever they want to, then lie and lie about it, and there's nothing we can do about any of it."

“They can do whatever they want because we don’t have any power!”

So there you have it, two schmucks drinking $2 beers in a shit bar in the shadow of the El getting a bit worked up momentarily but otherwise having a good time. One of these days, Chuck, we’ll go there together, and if Dan is there, I’ll buy him a $2 Bud to make up for my pissy attitude that day.


Linh