If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For my articles, please go to SubStack.

Thursday, June 22, 2023









Ubon Hotel on 6-22-23--Ubon Ratchathani 2 copy




At least it's not the Holiday Inn in Beirut (see below). There's a bank not even five minutes away, so I got my money exchanged and paid them. So simple a solution, but yesterday's receptionist insisted I take a taxi to a distant shopping center, only to be turned away by 12 Victory Exchange because I didn't have my passport. When you've just arrived in a foreign country, even one you've visited, the last thing you need is extra hassle.

When I paid the second receptionist, she looked perplexed and said nothing to me. She didn't even make eye contact. Shown in the photo is the third receptionist I've dealt with. This one was actually nice and even smiled at me.

The elevator worked this morning, then stopped working again. It works when it feels like it.

At the entrance, both Ubon Hotel and Ubol Hotel are listed. They can't decide on their name. Maybe they're transitioning.


Holiday Inn on 12-17-20--Beirut



2 comments:

Biff said...

“At the entrance, both Ubon Hotel and Ubol Hotel are listed. They can't decide on their name. Maybe they're transitioning. “

I’ve got about one year in at Thai language school(every Mon.We’d.Fri), and the different spelling of words is an added frustration. Any who, the Thai Spelling of Ubon is อุบล and the last letter(Lough/Law) normally is an “L” sound except when it’s put at the end of the word then it becomes an “N” sound. So “Ubol” is the literal spelling. “Ubon” is how it is pronounced. Thai language is full of ambiguous spellings.

Jamie T said...

Thanks for that semantic clarification. Good on ya.