If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Saturday, December 21, 2019

.









Queen 3 Hotel room on 12-21-19--Nha Trang









Well, it looks lived in now. Hah! The pseudo balcony is useful for hanging laundry, which I wash in the bathroom. Water pressure in sink barely exists, and bathroom fixtures are so old, they look suspect even when clean, but hey, at just over $8 a night, I ain't complaining. Location is great.

In El Paso in 2006, I paid $35 for a room with no toilet at the Gardner Hotel (where John Dillinger once stayed!). My room was sordid, my bed sagged and my sheet had cigarette holes in it.

My Nha Trang suite is much better than that, and who knows, maybe some Vietnamese gangster once slept here as well.

Sign in lobby, "No prostitutes to bring in here."

Yesterday, I walked by Da Fernando, an Italian restaurant. As I looked at the menu, the owner came out.

I said to him in Italian, "I lived in Italy for two years."

"Me, many more." Funny guy. "I'm from Puglia."

"I lived near Siena."

"Siena."

"In Certaldo. The birthplace of Boccaccio."

"Very famous, Boccaccio. No one knows him."

Natural comedian, the old dude. "Why don't you come in?"

"Tomorrow!"

Maybe I will.



.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought about staying at the Gardener hotel once, ended up in Truth or Consequences instead, at the Riverbend Hostel. Weirdest place I stayed in, men’s dorm was an old clapped out trailer.
So Linh, are you returning to Vung Tao, or staying in Nha Trang?

Anonymous said...

US border towns have some of the dingiest hotels in the country, the kind of places that disappeared decades ago in other parts of the country. Like a separate third country not part of the US or Mexico.

Linh Dinh said...

I'm going to drift for a bit. Two more nights in Nha Trang, then onward! I don't even know where yet.