If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, February 9, 2020

.









Room at resthouse on Minh Khai--Lao Cai









First night in Lao Cai, I stayed at this $4.30 a night room, with no private toilet. I helped a Chinese man check into this same hotel, after he was denied a room at another place, because of fear over the coronavirus. He couldn't speak a word of Vietnamese or English. About 40, dude had been in Vietnam on a 30-day visa, and was scheduled to leave the next day. I met him on a minibus from Dien Bien Phu.



.

2 comments:

craig dudley said...

do you speak enough chinese to be of full assistance, or were you doing what you could under the circumstances?

Linh Dinh said...

Hi Craig,

I speak no Chinese. The guy had some translation app on his smartphone, so I knew what he needed.

With all the Chinese tourists gone, it's grim in Lao Cai, and even grimmer in Hekou, from what I can see across the river. There are almost no vehicles or people on the streets there.


Linh