If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Monday, February 28, 2011

.









Laotian-temple--Point-Breeze-2












Laotian-temple--Point-Breeze









This is a Laotian temple on the edge of Point Breeze, a pretty dismal and dangerous neighborhood. Seeing me prowling around, these kind folks invited me in. They even offered me lunch. Finding out that I was Vietnamese, the head monk said, "Đẹp lắm!", meaning "Very beautiful!" He wasn't referring to me, of course. It was the only Vietnamese he knew. I myself don't know a single Laotian word.

The Laotians are known to be remarkably gentle. In the US, you hear about Vietnamese and Cambodian gangs, but never Laotian. I'm sure there must be some, but I've never heard of one.

It is well known that, during the Vietnam War, the US dropped more bombs on Laos than it did in all of Europe during WWII. About 30% of these, including cluster bombs, didn't explode on impact, so Laotians will continue to be killed by the US for decades to come.








.

No comments: