If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

.









Sept-2013-issue-of-Anderson-Valley-Advertiser--Passyunk-Square








The Anderson Valley Advertiser reprints some of my articles from this blog, so I have a subscription to this fine newspaper, plus $25 for each publication. AVA bills itself as "America's Last Newspaper," and the newest issue literally looks like it the way it arrives today, thanks to the post office. I'm just glad I'm not being billed for the shredding service. Who know where the damage was done, but this is not the first time I have gotten a piece of mangled mail, and our local post office is notoriously bad. Since the clerks there can be so preposteriously rude, I routinely walk 1 1/2 mile just to avoid the Dickinson Street branch, but sometimes I must go there, as when there's a package waiting for me. I suspect their contemptuous attitude stems in part from the large immigrant population they have to serve, with extra patience needed to explain a form or regulation to a non-native speaker, but it is precisely these recent immigrants that are keeping this hellish post office in business, for who else would mail a 50 lb box overseas? Even the natives can't stand this place, as witnessed by a sampling of reviews pulled from Google:




Sort by:
Most helpful
Rachel Romma
2 months ago
STAY. AWAY. This is a POOR rating, not Poor-Fair. There is no option for just "poor" or "awful". This post office services two zip codes so it is always incredibly busy. Knowing that, you would think they would staff this post office accordingly, but they don't. The interior is dank and the floor is incredibly slippery and dangerous. It's always understaffed with grumps (except for one worker -- just one). I came in this afternoon to weigh and post two letters and I waited 50 minutes. There was one window in service and two guys wearing shirts and ties in the express mail office watching TV and only handling people picking up packages. After 30 minutes in line I saw another postal worker walk behind the woman working the only staffed window. I gave her an inquisitive look and held up my hands as to say, "can you help us?" She screams at me "I'M ON LUNCH!". Alrighty then. I told the nice postal worker at the window, "you know, you could use some help." She told me that between Noon and 3:30 PM is when they take their lunch breaks and because of that, there is only one window open. You know what I do when I'm really busy at work? I take my lunch break at my desk. If you value your time and sanity, steer clear of this time frame. Come to think of it, steer clear of this USPS location in general. They don't care.
Mary Bruman
7 months ago
"A black hole for packages" - This is so, so true. Absolutely appalling. After waiting nearly 30 minutes in a line that went out the door (which is always the case at this dump), the woman who helped me was extremely rude. The building itself is disgustingly dirty. But the real reason I'm writing this review? Because I dropped off a package of return merchandise that was worth $75, and got a tracking number. Well, apparently they didn't actually track the package, because I could never locate the package, and it never arrived at it's destination. DO NOT GO HERE.
Erin Brown
6 months ago
This is a poorly run post office. Six or more different staff persons can be seen walking around behind the counter, but no more than two staff persons will ever be helping customers. If you actually have a choice to mail letters or purchase supplies elsewhere...I suggest you choose a different location and avoid the lack of professionalism, respect and the 30-60 minute wait! As I am a resident of this neighborhood, and package slips are delivered rather than packages themselves, I do not have this option. On more than one occasion, I have found a package slip in my mailbox after having spent the entire day at home. I will attest to what another reviewer writes above....package delivery persons for this post office do not always mail packages, but simply put the slips in the mailbox, thus forcing you to find time to pick up the package between 9-5pm weekday or 9-1pm on Saturday. It should not be called a post office, but rather just "inconvenience".
Kelly Knowles
5 months ago
This post office is exactly why the saying 'Good enough for government work' was created. They are so terrible at customer service and no matter how many people are in line they never have more than two people working. You can go any time of day and plan on having to wait for an hour just to get a package. I've been here multiple times where the staff is standing around while people are waiting but they don't care how angry people get. I think things would be different if they weren't behind thick glass. If they are looking for a post office to shut down for budget cuts I would suggest they look at this one next.
Philip Dahl
6 months ago
They will leave your package out in public areas for anyone to grab. They will claim they've done "their job" and not claim any responsibility for the package left out in the open in a public part of town. Now I need to bring this up with the police? Long lines, poor reliability of receiving packages. an overall horrible place to have to be stuck at or with.
Dan Le
in the last week
Alway busy, bad service and location parking is terrible!
Elisabeth Garson
11 months ago
The absolute worst post office of all time. The staff is rude. It's always busy. You DREAD getting a package because you'll have to deal with the post office. I feel like I'm in a third world country. They don't answer the phone. They close EARLY (before they're supposed to). They lollygag around when there's a line of 15. They never have supplies. the environment is totally dirty. Once they couldn't "find" my package for 20 minutes. Call and complain: 1800-ASKUSPS
Chloe D
2 months ago
If you wait for a package to get delivered, forget it. Probably one of employees liked it….
Bradley Schiro
a year ago
Around 4 pm on a Tuesday (less than two weeks before Christmas), one counter was open to serve over twenty people in line. Regular customers complained that it was normal at this location.
Nathan Wright
a year ago
Extremely rude over the phone and in person. Not a fan of this place!


.

No comments: