If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

.









Stone-building-at-7th-and-Snyder-on-6-8-14--South-Philly








This was the Snyder Avenue Baptist Church until 1911, when it became the 850-seat Grand Theater, which lasted until the 60's. Online, I found the below reminiscence from one Umberto LaPaglia:

"What a memory! [...] It once was a Baptist Church but as the neighborhood changed before WWI it became a hall and eventually a movie house. It was three-four blocks from where I lived, near Ninth and Wolf Streets. I seldom went to the Grand for one good reason. The fare was nineteen cents because it was air-conditioned! It was tough enough for me to get eleven cents for the Colonial movie house, nineteen cents was beyond my reach. But just to experience the air-conditioning, I very slowly accumulated nineteen pennies and entered the frigid world and saw Spencer Tracy and Bartholmew -what ever the rest of his name- was in some fishing drama. How I accumulated nineteen pennies is another story. Thanks for the memory."



.

No comments: