If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

.









Shanty town--Batam








A little shanty town of about 20 dwellings in downtown. It was clear they had no electricity, indoor plumbling or trash pickups. I saw ducks and chickens. As I entered the area, a guy shouted something, but I just grinned, waved and kept walking. On my way out, I tried to wade through six foot-high vegetation, but had to give up and head back to my original entrance. I crossed a backyard. An old man said something, then another in his 30's shouted in my direction. Raising my hands, I rotated them back and forth to indicate that I was lost, grinned and walked out. The man laughed and said something to the ancient one to convey that everything was OK. "Just some stupid Chink from Singapore," he probably explained.

Soon enough, all of these poor people will be kicked out so they can build yet another sterile and hideous complex that will go unrented.



.

No comments: