If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

.









Mexikoi ut station--Budapest









Mexikói út, Mexico Street, end of Line 1. I went there not knowing what's above ground. It turned out to be a few rather shabby looking stores, with a Burger King the spiffiest among them. I ran into a Vietnamese couple who own two adjacent shops selling clothing, food and household items. The man was quite annoyed because, the night before, someone had stolen two of his energy saving bulbs from the ceiling just outside his business. Each cost $20. He was studying his security footage to find the culprit.

From him, I bought two tall cans of Staropramen, a Czech beer, for $1.75 altogether.

He has been all over Europe. "If you really want to see a poor country, you should go to Romania. It's as poor as Vietnam."

"You're kidding me! The poorest Vietnamese live in thatch huts!"

"No, not anymore."

I'm sure I'm right, but since he's from the North, which is colder, thatch huts may be gone there.




.

No comments: