If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Monday, July 22, 2019

.









Eating, drinking and singing on 7-21-19--Ea Kly 2









Last night. Man singing is our driver. Even I belted out three songs, all from the 70's. Phố Buồn [Sad Street] was made famous by Thanh Thúy, who had a "zero hour voice."

I was the oldest present, and the only one who actually was alive during the Vietnam War.

In 1983, I saw Thái Thanh give a concert in Washington DC. When she came onstage, all 1,500 Vietnamese in the audience started bawling like babies. We were weeping for ourselves, at all that we had lost. We wept over the violence done to out culture.

Here's a Thái Thanh recording from wartime Saigon:






.

No comments: