If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

.









Collapsed-ceiling--Passyunk-Square








I don't even have to leave my front door to photograph slum conditions. At 5AM, part of the ceiling came down in my living room but, well, at least it didn't happen in the bedroom! I've called my landlord.

When my brother and his family came to Philly a few years ago, I met them downtown, and as the rented car approached my neighborhood, I could hear one of my nephews whisper to his mom, "People live here?" Spoiled brat! The Italian Market is one of the more presentable parts of Philly, and my apartment building is old, that's all. A basic, very basic row house, it was built a century ago.



.

2 comments:

Cindy Shirar said...

Oh my God. I hope the landlord's family gets that fixed ASAP, Linh. :O

You're right. Hope the rest of the row house is structurally sound. *Cringing* If it's 100+ years old, well, it's probably build a lot better than the garbage erected these days (I read a lot of James Howard Kunstler, too, LOL!)

*Sighing heavily*

If you're living in the Italian Market neighborhood, you're probably among good folks--(not biased, just half-Italian, myself. My Mom's got a green card and everything...LOL!)

Hope that landlord's son guy sees a chunk of HIS ceiling collapse. *Grumble*

Take care, Linh!

Cindy

Linh Dinh said...

Hi Cindy,

After I called the dad, everything was straightened out. The old man, a doctor, called me and said he was glad no one got hurt. A very good guy, he is the key preserver of Italian culture in Philadelphia. In 1987, he founded an Italian Cultural Center, and he's featured in this YouTube video.

When my Blood and Soap got translated into Italian, I sent him a copy...


Linh