If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

.









Jay-Johnston--Center-City-2











Jay-Johnston--Center-City











Jay's-drawing








Majoring in sculpture, Jay Johnston went to the same college I did, The University of the Arts. We then became roommates and worked for the same housepainting boss. When Jay got married to Emma in 1997, I was one of maybe four guests, not including Jay's parents. The minimal ceremony was performed at Tapas, where Emma worked, then we all went to Dirty Frank's for our usual cheap beer, though the bar did cough up a bottom shelf bottle of champagne in honor of the newlyweds. Emma was from Spain and had been in the US for maybe three years. I remember her standing at the bar, saying, "I can't believe I'm married! I've always said I'd never get married!" Wearing a tank top, a fat biker (whose name I can no longer recall) came over to congratulate Emma, but he freaked out Jay's mom a bit when he started to talk to her in his slobbering way.

A year after the birth of their first child, Jay and Emma moved from Philly to Emma's hometown, Zaragoza, and though they divorced later, Jay decided to stay in Spain. Today, he brought his two boys to Philly. Jay said the situation in Spain is very bad, of course, with four out of ten households with no one working, and there's regular news about people committing suicides from economic despair, but Jay is so used to the saner, more community-oriented way of life in Spain, he'd not come back here. His boys, though, were thoroughly enjoying their US trip. Eric, 14, said, "We don't have Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks where we live." Also, "Before I came, I thought every American was fat, but it is not true, not every American is fat."

In Spain, Jay survives by teaching English, but that type of work has become scarcer, so last year, he rented out a kitchen in an Irish bar, where he served proper lunches, without success, before switching to hamburgers and hot dogs, "During football season, during the Champions League, I'd do OK, and once a year, there are all these US Air Force guys who show up, and suddenly I'd be serving 50 burgers a day, but the rest of the time, I'd be standing there for hours with nothing to do, just drinking my beer. The Spanish come to the bar to watch the Champions League because most of them don't have satellite TV."

Jay's drawing is from 1996 or so, and I've written about our desperately artsy, drunken days in this piece, "Post-Hotdog, Sober, Mr. Lee". Below is Jay's kids, Pablo and Eric. Pablo, 16, is on a waiting list to get into a trade school. The youth unemployment rate in Spain is over 55%.










Pablo--Center-City











Eric-Johnston--Center-City










.

4 comments:

Jay Johnston said...

hahaha, very nice! only one correction. it's air force once a year. maybe a tent investment is a good idea for me too. i'll send you some pics of "chabolas" in zaragoza.
cheers!

Linh Dinh said...

OK, Jay, just corrected from Navy to Air Force.

Linh Dinh said...

P.S. Tent comment is a reference to me joking about possibly living in a tent the next time Jay comes over.

Linh Dinh said...

Yo Jay,

I forgot to include what your kids said about your Spanish, so here it is:

Jay's kids told me his Spanish was still spotty. Eric said, "When he can't think of a word, he makes up a word." "But Eric," I said, "your dad also does that in English."