If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

.









Shootings-Deaths-Bloodshed--Trenton








Trenton, capital of New Jersey, has a population of 84,899. As of August 24th, it has 31 homicides this year, tying the all-time record for an entire year. The homicide figure only reveals a part of the mayhem, however. On August 15th, for example, a 24-year-old ex convict kicked and punched his girlfriend, stabbed her dog to death, then shot two cops, sending both to the hospital, with one still hospitalized. He himself was shot to death, though it is not counted as a homicide.

Over two days, I walked over 7 miles through Trenton, and I can't say it was very pleasant. Though I did encounter friendly people, I also ran into a few who were extremely touchy or paranoid.



.

4 comments:

richard said...

Hello, Linh

I grew up in central NJ and am familiar with the areas you photograph. My question to you is what, if any, personal safety measures do you take in these sketchy neighborhoods? Also - have you ever been physically assaulted? Verbally doesn't count. Just curious.

richard

Linh Dinh said...

Hi Richard,

I just use my instinct and jive to get by. I carry no weapons. In all my years of living and wandering through cities, I've only been mugged once, in Philly, by some guy with a hammer, but he never whacked me, and I actually got him convicted in court. A cop said, "Thank you! We've brought him in seven or eight times, but this is his first conviction." The mugger told the judge I was an Asian gang member who had assaulted him so, terrified of me, he had to carry a hammer as self protection.

One time in North Philly, a teen crossed the street towards me, and his demeanor and gait were hostile enough that I thought, "Oh shit, maybe this is the day," but there were cars driving by. Not constantly, but there were cars. The kid told me to get fuck out of there, and I did. A friend of mine, poet, artist and 1% biker Jerome Robinson, had been shot on that same block. Jerome and I did two readings together.


Linh

Cindy Shirar said...

Hi Linh...

We'd be devastated if anything untoward happened while you were out adventuring.

You're out and about and have a much better sense of "life on the ground" as it were.

You know what you're doing. But it worries me when you get harassed by jerks like those recruiters...and that one clown at that bar in Wyoming.

Thinking of you here! :D

*HUGS*

Cindy

Linh Dinh said...

Correction: West Philly, not North Philly, regarding Jerome Robinson.