If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Friday, November 23, 2018

.









Mentaiko spaghetti at Jonathan's--Tokyo









Spaghetti with salmon roe, seaweed and scallops at Jonathan's, a Japanese chain with cheap toys for sale near the cash register, booths, muzak and an evocation of a much gentler and cheesier USA. My Tokyo friends are quite amused at my fascination with Jonathan's, but I've returned there a bunch of time, and tonight, I had a doria, the Japanese gratin, topped with four Hiroshima oysters.



.

1 comment:

Ian Keenan said...

Last week I revisited a Cantonese street food cheapie in Manhattan Chinatown 'XO' on Hester - across from the $1.25 noodle cart - where I get unlimited free tea on cold mornings, and they have lots of photographed dishes like doria where large portions of cheese are melted over everything. I get my new cholesterol reading on Monday but I stay off that stuff. I might have told you about this Nepalese guy I knew who tried to start a place in South Jersey that served Chinese food as it was made in old Calcutta - didn't make it tho it was good, moved to a restaurant somewhere in Queens. I guess Japanese/ Chinese versions of American in the US get changed into upscale Japanese, + places like XO which cater to Chinese people.