If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Thursday, August 8, 2019

.









Supermarket at Eon Mall in Bình Tân-Saigon









Last couple of days, I've taken my 26-month-old nephew here to teach him the names of fruits, so he's learnt táo [apple], cam [orange], nho [grape] and cà chua [tomato]. Suki already knew chôm chôm [rambutan], măng cụt [mangosteen], dừa [coconut] and chuối [banana]. As southerners, my in-laws are slightly disturbed, I'm sure, that Suki is speaking with a northern accent, which he's gotten from me.

In the US, accent also matters a great deal, and that's why it has been greatly diluted.

Traveling through the American South, I've asked people, "What happened to your accent?!" Attending highschool in Northern Virginia during 1979-82, I heard the southern accent quite regularly.



.

1 comment:

Astra Worthington said...

Glad you saw that Northern VA was definitely the South. It isn’t any longer, of course. Almost all of the natives have moved away and only NY/NJ carpetbaggers and various foreigners, remain. And they are remaking it in their image. A real shame. I don’t blame you for going home to Vietnam, I wish I had a home to go to, but it’s all been sanitized and turned into globohomocorporate filth. Hopefully Vietnam will resist this assimilation....