If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Saturday, November 23, 2019

.









Nguyen Quoc Chanh talking to a balut vendor at Mulberry Beach--Vung Tau









Poet Nguyễn Quốc Chánh talking to a balut vendor. I've known Chánh for 20 years, and we've hung out in Saigon, Hanoi and even Berlin. He's a dear friend.

Right after this photo, I said, "Fuck your mother! Why are you asking her so many questions? Are you a cop?!"

We then bought three baluts from her. She's in love with a man she can't marry, because of objections from both families.

I told her I just had a violent fight with my mother-in-law, and that's why I was in Vũng Tàu, "She threatened to stab me more than ten times!"

She laughed. It's good to make people laugh.

My mother-in-law has been abusing my two-year-old nephew, Suki, psychologically and even physically, and his parents are too irresponsible and cowardly to do anything about it. Over and over, she screams at the terrified infant and makes him apologize to her for imaginary transgressions. I can already see the damage in Suki.

Interceding on the poor child's behalf repeatedly, I incur the old woman's wrath, so that's why I've detached myself from my in-laws, and it's not like I'm welcome there. After all, the crazed woman kept screaming she's going to stab me, and it's her house.

Suki, angelic child, you deserve so much better than to be in that madhouse, and I'm deeply sorry I couldn't do anymore. Please forgive me. I tried my best. I'm very sorry.

It's not entirely hopeless. The woman is in terrible health and should die soon.



.

4 comments:

Rudy said...

Sad. Just sad.

Jason B said...

I know the feelings that arise when you watch adults abuse a child to whom you are close. It's awful. Stepping back when there is nothing else you can do is the only thing to do!!

Astra Worthington said...

Oh no, poor Suki! I always like to see your pics of him, I have a son near his age and it’s so interesting to see how similar yet different they are. I’ll pray for you and him. It’s obvious you love him and he loves you and it hurts to see estrangement. That wicked old bitch. My words are so inadequate here, I’m no writer but my thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Linh Dinh said...

Many thanks to all of you for your kind, supportive words. Suki is such a sensitive and intelligent child that it's tragic he has such undeserving parents and an evil grandma. Suki looks out for adults to make sure they're OK, that's how sweet and attentive he is. Once, he grabbed a spoon from my hand to spoonfeed me! "Let me feed you," the two-year-old actually said.