If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, January 5, 2020

.









Tran Hung Dao Temple--Vientiane









In Vietnam, you never see Laotian businesses or temples, but Vietnamese stores and restaurants are common in Laotian cities, and there are even temples, including a very large one in Vientiane. What I didn't expect to find was this temple to Tran Hung Dao, a 13th century military hero. For repelling two Mongolian invasions, he's considered a saint by most Vietnamese. He's from Nam Dinh, by the way. That's my ancestral home. This long view of history just doesn't exist in the US. I mean, there's also a Dinh Emperor from the 10th century.



.

1 comment:

eahilf said...

This long view of history just doesn't exist in the US.

The US is not that old: I remember going to a party in 1976 where the goal was to drink 200 beers for the bicentennial -- history in US schools was always, in my experience, very New World (from a European exploration perspective) and US (colonial beginnings, revolution, development) centric -- that was about as "long view" as it got; which was OK, since the US was a relatively young, mostly racially homogeneous nation, with (what I will call) a strong Euroidentity: we knew where we came from -- not anymore unfortunately ...