If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

.









Beef enchiladas at Los Amigos--Busan









Excellent beef quesadillas [corrected from enchiladas, a dumb mistake...] at Los Amigos. The owner/chef is actualy a Kuwaiti-American from Los Angeles, 50-year-old Ahmad "Oscar" Mansour. Oscar's wife is a Sakhalin Korean, and they met in Seattle, where she studied.

A hundred fifty thousand Koreans were brought to Sakhalin by the Japanese. Nearly a third were stuck there when Soviet Russia took the island at the end of World War II. Their plight was an enormous tragedy lasting decades. By 1960, only a quarter had been granted Soviet citizenship. Those stateless had many rights denied in addition to living in a Communist country. Though two-thirds acquired North Korean citizenship, only a fraction managed to move there. In the late 80’s, Sakhalin Koreans were finally allowed to emigrate to South Korea, but not many have done so. Emigration is always a huge challenge. Counting their descendants, 35,000 Sakhalin Koreans remain in Russia.

Sitting inside Los Amigos, I looked out its large window at the uncluttered sidewalk, sun splashed boulevard and flowered median strip. "Man, this is almost like California!" I said to Oscar.

Oscar has been in South Korea for 11 years and loves it, "When I go visit my family in California, it's OK for a week or two, then I start to think, 'I want to go home!' It's enough. I've had my In-N-Out burgers."

Near Christmas each year, there's a benefit dinner in Busan, for which Oscar cooks Mexican and Middle Eastern dishes. The proceeds go to orphans and lonely old folks, living in group homes.



.

11 comments:

xlarry said...

jesus, i could go for those enchiladas and a negra modelo right now!

Linh Dinh said...

Really good Tex-Mex food, with everything made on site. Dude's a real chef.

Anonymous said...

If that's an enchilada I am The King of Siam. It's a 케사 디야! BTW I was Born in East L.A. I was Born in East L.A.

Linh Dinh said...

Corrected. They're quesadillas. Sorry.

The article on your wall said you were born in Kuwait, man. That's where I got the info...

Almost walked into your restaurant again today. Was in the neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

No worries amigo. When S. Korea develops the equivalent stature and culinary respect of the vaunted Taco Truck I may avail myself to sojourn there. Until then the local Bulgogi Truck tanit cuttin' it. Continued safe adventures on your culinary travels Linh. Paz.

Linh Dinh said...

I thought you were Oscar...

Anonymous said...

Nyet. Just a passerby on the Internet highway. Cheers and thanks for these great missives. Mazol tov.

Linh Dinh said...

Shalom to you. How did you know I was Jewish?

Anonymous said...

Saw your T'Shirt. No good Jew would go without one my fellow Red Sea Pedestrian.Next year in Jerusalem!

Linh Dinh said...

Since arriving in South Korea, I haven't had the balls to wear my favorite shirt. I am a self-hating Jew.

xlarry said...

linh, ofcourse,they're quesadillas, but you can't leave korea without going to a late night food truck serving jajang myun, throw on some extra crushed red pepper, have a hite brewski, voila