If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Thursday, October 1, 2020

In the shadow of the huge Philip II statue,

I'm thinking about my next piece. This cafe has tall tables outside where I can actually stand, which is perfect, for I prefer to write standing. Eight feet from me is the Gypsy shoeshine guy. Poor man, he hardly gets any business. By mistake, I ordered hot tea with rum, since I couldn't understand the waiter. He said, "Room." It's not even 9:30AM, so way too early to get buzzed. Waste not, want not, however, so I drank half the rum. When the shoeshine man said hello, I offered him the other half, so problem solved! It's a bit cold this morning, so he's warmed up, and so am I. Tea is called chai here, just like in the Ukraine. Next time, I'll order chai without room.

The other day, I noticed a lawyer buying the shoeshine man a beer, so I'll do that later.



.

No comments: