If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, August 1, 2021

I often reprocess old photos. Going over a batch from August 10th, 2009,

I rediscovered this image of Sheila Modglin. A long time bartender at Dirty Frank's and beloved by just about everybody in Center City, Sheila was struck by a car on February 8th, 2018, the day of the Eagles' Super Bowl parade. She's permanently damaged. Here's one article about that horrible incident, "Dirty Franks bartender in 'up and down' battle back from brink of death."








Sheila Modglin on 8-10-2009--Center City









.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A gracious good-hearted person! - McGlinchey Joe

Linh Dinh said...

I never saw her mean or ill tempered, and she had to deal with hundreds of drunks each night for three decades!

Anonymous said...


Hi Linh, Hope you are doing well! Are your plans to change countries in the dumpster for now? This is a very uplifting story about Sheila, and it shows that some of the most ordinary people in our screwed up world are the highest quality of them all!! Do you know if she ever recovered fully? Take care, Tom (from france)

Linh Dinh said...

Hi Tom,

Sheila never recovered fully. Her speech is severely impaired.

I'm getting ready to fly out. By midnight on Thursday, I should be in my new location. New photos from there will be up on Friday.


Linh

Linh Dinh said...

I've never heard anyone say anything negative about Sheila, and that's quite remarkable, for she dealt with thousands of people.

This photo was taken in Dirty Frank's. I had just gotten back from hanging out at the tent city in Camden, a rather grim experience. I asked Sheila if I could take a photo of her with the "CASH ONLY" sign in the same frame. Thinking it hilarious, she immediately agreed. Of course, Sheila would have looked great in any setting.