If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, June 26, 2022

Đen's "Mang Tiền Về Cho Mẹ" ["Bring Money Home to Mom"]

I wouldn't say only in Vietnam, but I doubt there are too many rappers with a similar song. His stage name, Đen, means "Black."







Roughly 1/8th of the lyrics:

Oh, without you, mom, I'd have been trash
With neither foundation nor order though I may sit up high
The computer I recorded my first songs
You had to earn through days of sweat (drenched)
Now that I can work and make money
All you need to do, mom, is sit back to enjoy oh (tea)

Oh those miserable gray days
With swirling wind and you, mom, so thin
Sometimes you passed out on the street from hunger
You didn't dare to buy clothing
Didn't dare to spend money out of worries (for me)
Now I cooly carry a bag to buy you a Dior bag

My first words were taught by whom (you, mom)
My first letters, who held my hand (you, mom)
My first mistakes, who corrected me (you, mom)
My first stumbles, who pulled me up (always you, mom)


No comments: