If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For my articles, please go to SubStack.

Sunday, January 21, 2024









What's in my kitchen at DC Homestay on 1-20-24--Vung Tau copy




What's in my kitchen. The electric pot is for boiling the lingzhi.

I've been eating beanthreads with chicken and bún thang at this joint. Only this morning did I realize their broth is filled with MSG, so that's my last visit.

There's no Wikipedia page for bún thang in English. The French page explains that it's "a traditional specialty of Hanoi [...] It's a dish of connoiseurs that's rarely found in the Central or South. ["Une spécialité traditionnelle de Hà Nội [...] C'est un mets de connaisseur, rarement trouvé au Centre et au Sud."]


2 comments:

Biff said...

“Only this morning did I realize their broth is filled with MSG, so that's my last visit.”

So sad MSG gets a bad rap. One of Japan’s best inventions(they live the longest ya know!).

Lyle said...

If you want to know, don't use gooogle, search msg with "side effects"
In the search terms and you will be surprised, it warns against giving
msg to children also.
Japan also "invented" instant coffee, any good raps on that?
The only thing about Japan, msg, and best (not invention), is the
Huge profits made from what is essentially an industrial/chemical
By-product other-wise dumped in a river along with aspartame, sacharine,
And sodium fluoride etc.