If you have a PayPal account, please send your donation directly to linhdinh99@yahoo.com, to save me the fees. Thanks a lot!

For just my articles, please go to SubStack.

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

A Vietnamese doctor in Angola on 1/25/22:

Until September of 2019, I didn't even know there were Vietnamese in Angola, then I met a Vietnamese who had just returned from there. Hearing his story, I wanted to go to Angola, of course, but never thought I would be so close so soon. Though there are buses from Windhoek to Angola, one must be quarantined for 10 days after getting there, and I'm not even sure if Americans are allowed to enter Angola by land right now. In any case, I'm too exhausted to seriously consider such a trip.

Below is a new video by a Vietnamese doctor working in Angola. Before Covid, there were Russian, Cuban, North Korean and Vietnamese doctors in Angola, but the North Koreans are gone. Among foreign doctors still there, Cubans and Vietnamese are the most numerous. There are also Vietnamese immigrants, including some very successful businessmen.

In the video, the doctor and his wife follow Maria as she takes $3 worth of tomatoes to a roadside market to sell. At 2:39, Maria points out to the doctor where she saw a thick snake recently. Notice how she addresses him as "doutor." They're speaking Portuguese, of course, as in "cobra" for snake. At 3:34, they pass a sugarcane field, a woman picking string beans and a peanut patch. Like Maria, she must carry an infant while working. At 5:01, they run into three girls and "Daco's wife," who's also with a baby. They, too, are going to the market. Notice the constant laughter. At 5:39, the doctor says he's now leading a flutter of butterflies, meaning the six women behind him. Butterfly is also a Vietnamese slang for vagina. At 6:25, Daco appears. He says he's had a bit to drink. At 6:54, they pass some Mexican sunflower plants. Daco, "Girassol." At 7:40, there's a man chopping wood. He and another man have fell these fairly thick-trunked trees with just an ax. After asking what kind of wood it is, the doctor realizes it's not hard enough for a chopping board, so won't buy a chunk. At 9:30, they reach the market. Besides fresh produce, it also offers bush meats, the doctor explains. At 9:56, we see a man selling kapuka (homemade vodka) and barbequed rats on a stick. At 10:05, we see a bar so inviting it must cause infinite anguish in all sensate beings. Saying, "Bom dia! Bom dia!" the doctor then asks if it's OK for him to videotape everybody. It's not a problem. Overhearing a woman say, "Cina," the doctor explains that he's not Chinese, but Angolan, which cracks people up. In Vietnamese, he explains to viewers that Angolans usually don't like Chinese, so when they think he's Chinese, he has to joke that he's Angolan. (This response, though, leaves open the possibility that he's in fact Chinese!) Noticing two wooden mortars, he says they're just like Vietnamese ones. At 11:33, Maria tells the doctor there are caterpillars for sale. They're in a bowl on an upright crate of beer, so must go well together. (Damn, rat kebab then caterpillars with beer, and all I had for breakfast were eggs sunny side up plus some pork sausages.) Since the doctor only wants live caterpillars, he won't get these. The doctor ends up buying wild cucumbers, sugarcanes and lots of bananas. At 16:43, Daco says there's a man grilling a monkey, but the doctor explains, "Não comemos macaco." We don't eat monkey. At 17:03, we see a man in an Inter Milan shirt holding up the tail of an ungutted monkey with his fur barely burnt. At 25:30, they're back home, with the doctor expertly peeling and chopping sugarcane for four of Maria's children, none older than eight, it seems, while she breastfeeds the baby. Again, notice the constant laughter, including from the doctor's wife offsreen.

Finally, do you see anyone wearing a mask or keeping social distance, much less squirting their hands constantly with hand sanitizer?! And this is a video from a doctor!









10 comments:

Zeno said...

Fun video. I don't think I could eat monkeys either... I suppose it's cultural, but... That grilled monkey was not a nice image.

Anyway, Africa already has so many diseases, from malaria to typhus, that worrying about Covid and wearing masks in the jungle appears kind of silly...

Biff said...

I eat monkeys for breakfast, and nails for lunch. Silly little masked men ain’t gonna get no dengue fever…

Linh Dinh said...

Nails, not snails? Man, you're bad!

Linh Dinh said...

A reader just pointed out, "Actually, at around 6:37 into the vid (where the wood chopper is about to come into the video) I believe the doctor's beautiful wife suddenly obscures her loveliness with a dreaded face diaper. Not sure why, as
she was maskless at all times immediately prior. She removes the mask
at 9:50. Again, no idea why."

I answered, "I missed that. Thanks for pointing that out. At the market when she was surrounded by people, she had no mask, so the previous mask wearing made no sense."

Pre Covid, many urban Vietnamese wore masks, especially when they're on a motorbike, to protect themselves from street pollution, so maybe the doctor's wife got annoyed by some smell, such as petro fume.

Linh Dinh said...

Also, I forgot to point out that at the beginning, Maria's kids were crying because they weren't allowed to go to the market. Fatima was really bawling! It's a much longer hike than what's shown on the video. The doctor didn't film the entire trip.

The kids' disappointment was more than made up by the sugarcane treat at the end. Seeing them enjoying it so much made the doctor's wife laugh repeatedly.

Martin said...

Hi Linh,

You mentioned the possibility of going to Angola, keep in mind that only seven years ago Luanda was rated as the most expensive city in the world in which to live a western lifestyle; I've seen in your posted photos that your meals and drinks (beer) are western and that'll cost you A LOT in Angola. Of course, you're a seasoned traveler and probably know all about the extremely high costs in Angola/Luanda but I figured I'd send you a "heads up" anyways.

Safe travels.

Linh Dinh said...

Hi Martin,

I'm so exhausted that I can't imagine going anywhere right now. Just got my visa extended for 3 more months in Namibia.

Should I make it to Angola, I'll switch to a monkey and rat diet to keep cost down! Insects, I'm not a big fan of.


Linh

Linh Dinh said...

P.S. At immigration two days ago, the lady gave me a form to fill out, so I asked to borrow a pen. Refusing, she said she didn't want to catch corona from me. This, after she had handled my passport! First covidiot I've met in Namibia...

Without pen, I had to walk four blocks to a stationary store to buy a 30-cent Bic. Anyway, I submitted the filled form two days ago, then came back this morning to pick up my passport with the stamped extension. Any time your fate is in someone else's hand, there's anxiety, but everything turned out well. Done, I celebrated by having a $5 three piece fried chicken lunch at Hungry Lion!

Linh Dinh said...

P.P.S. Most expensive country I've experienced was Iceland, then Switzerland.

Martin said...

Hi Linh,

I know the feeling about getting those visa extensions; it was because of a Colombian girlfriend I got three "non-extendable" visas in a row in Bogotá back in 1990-1991. "Non Extendable" was stamped right there as a part of the extension stamped into my passport, you couldn't miss it, but the powers-that-be ignored it and gave me a new extension every time that I had to come back and get another one.

Anyways, it must feel good not having to worry about moving along - at a minimum - till around May. As I mentioned in the other post, when you're rested and ready to move on be sure to think twice before choosing Angola, that $5 you spent on a Hungry Lion fried chicken meal might not be able to buy you a singed monkey tail in Luanda. But, if you're set on a Portuguese Africa experience, you can always head to much more affordable Mozambique; of the dozens and dozens of Portuguese I've spoken to, many of them who had been born and raised in Africa and had fled after the wars, there's a consensus among them that Mozambique is a better place to visit.

P.S. Switzerland was the most expensive country I've ever lived in. Luckily I was working in Zürich for cash (Swiss Francs) but was still barely able to afford the place. Oddly enough, I was there over a Swiss girlfriend whom I had met in Bali, when we broke up my flight back to the states was on Icelandic Air, with a stop-over in Reykjavik, Iceland. It was my chance to see the capital but I was too broken hearted at the time to stay in a hostel and wander around in a cold, over-priced town, so I "missed" experiencing those crazy Icelandic prices.

I do know that if I ever go to Iceland I'll bring my own booze.